Fall is here, and we all know what that means. Cold weather, lots of germs and tons of colds and flus. Get your immune system and house in gear to fight off the viruses that come in all shapes and sizes.
Top 5 Immune System Boosters:
- Ginger, Garlic and Lemons Galore – I think there is a pot of real ginger tea in my house brewing at all times through the fall and winter seasons. Strong cups of ginger tea help to keep your immune system strong. Garlic is a natural anti viral, and lemons are a great source of vitamin C.
- Vitamin D – at least 1000 IU/day for adults and 400 IU/day for babies and toddlers. Not only will this essential vitamin keep your immunity in tip top shape, it will also help with SAD (seasonal affective disorder) and your general mood.
- Oil of oregano – disgusting but powerful! At the first sign of a cold, take 2–3 drops every few hours.
- Deep Immune and Echinaseal (St. Francis Herbs) – these two products are pertinent for your immunity. The deep immune comes in a kids’ product, as well.
- Probiotics – if you have to go on an antibiotic for any reason, please listen to this one piece of advice and supplement with a good probiotic for at least 1 month afterwards. Antibiotics strip your body of the good bacteris (probiotics) you need to fight off infection. My favourite brands are metagenics ultra flora balance for adults, bio gaia for babies and kiddy biotics by sisu for kids.
Image: “Woman With Cold Sneezing Into Tissue” by David Castillo Dominici courtesy of freedigitalphotos.net.